Proudly present: The 2008 BRIDES Magazine Photo Competition
THESE WERE THE OFFICIAL PHOTO CONTEST RULES
ELIGIBILITY OF ENTRANTS:
The 2008 BRIDES Magazine Photo Competition is open to Wedding Photojournalist Association (“WPJA”) members who are in good standing with the
organization, who are twenty-one (21) years of age or older at time of entry, and who agree to the terms in these Official Rules. Employees, officers and directors of the WPJA or BRIDES
Magazine or any of their affiliates, and their immediate family members, are excluded. The Contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and is void where
1. Members may submit up to ten (10) photographic images (“Images”) in the Contest, regardless of category. There is no fee to enter.
2. Any single image may be entered in only one category. Entrants may not submit the same image in multiple categories.
3. Images submitted for the Contest must have been created between January 1st and December 31st of 2007. No images may be submitted from previous years. Previous WPJA-sponsored contest
prize-winning images are not eligible, but members may re-enter images submitted in previous 2007 WPJA contests if the images did not place in the top ten in any category.
4. Contest entries must be submitted electronically through the Contest upload section on the WPJA’s website (wpja.com). Images submitted in any other manner shall not be
eligible for the Contest.
5. Each entrant shall be solely responsible to ensure that all entries are received by the WPJA between 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Savings Time, April 28th, 2008 and 11:59 p.m.,
Eastern Daylight Savings Time, May 9th, 2008.
ELIGIBILITY OF IMAGES FOR SUBMISSION:
1. An entrant may only enter images that were created by the entrant. Entrants may not enter images on behalf of non-WPJA members, nor may they submit images created by any person other
than themselves, even if such person is a WPJA member.
2. Images submitted to the Contest must have been obtained from actual weddings. Images created during seminars, workshops, model shoots, or other staged events are not eligible for
entry. Images created as part of and incorporating a third party’s commercial sponsorship are not eligible for entry.
3. Images must be suitable for all ages; any image deemed by the WPJA, in its sole discretion, to be obscene or otherwise unsuitable for all ages will be disqualified.
4. Images created in situations controlled by the photographer, and guided by instructions such as "stand here," "look there," "do this," or
"do that again," shall be considered portraits. Portraits may only be entered in the Bridal Party category. All other Contest categories are open only to candid images.
5. Images submitted to the Contest must not have been altered, either developmentally or electronically (this includes software manipulation). Manipulated images that use digital
capture effects, photo development altering, toning, desaturation, or computer software manipulation--including actions, plug-ins, and filters--are not eligible for entry. However,
minimal dodging and burning, dust and scratch removal, levels/curves adjustment, light sharpening, cropping and color to black & white conversion are acceptable. Any images with
severe manipulation violations will be disqualified.
6. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER SEPIA OR OTHER TONED IMAGES IN ANY CATEGORY.
7. Contest image submissions must not include text or border treatments.
By entering the Contest, each entrant grants the WPJA a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use the submitted images to promote the WPJA and its members through the
organization’s public websites. The WPJA may seek the photographer’s permission to publish the Contest-winning images in newsletters, books, magazines, newspapers, CDs, or
other media. Entrants retain all other rights in the submitted images.
Entrants hereby acknowledge and agree that all Contest results are final. WPJA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant for any violation of the Official
Entries will be judged in two rounds. WPJA personnel have absolutely no input whatsoever in the judging process, in either round. All results are final. The following guidelines outline
the Contest judging procedures:
1. Image files will be received electronically via WPJA’s online Contest upload system and renamed with special coded photographer numbers (for official use only). This ensures
anonymity and eliminates opportunity for bias, so judging will be based solely on the images themselves.
2. The judges are Pulitzer prize-winning photojournalists and/or picture editors.
3. All images will be burned onto CD-ROMs and shipped to each individual judge. The judges will work independently to rank the images. Judges will not be in communication with, and thus
will not be influenced by, any of the other judges.
4. Each judge will select ten (10) images from each category and place them in ranked order within each category (number one being best). Each judge will also provide written comments
on the top five (5) images selected from each category. The judges’ selections shall be based on creativity, technical proficiency, composition, lighting, and above all, the
capturing of real moments as they occur.
5. The judges will e-mail their rankings with comments to WPJA offices.
6. WPJA staff will assign (for internal use only) a numeric score to each image based on each judge’s individual top ten (10) ranking results, and will tally the numeric score
for each image within each category.
7. On or about June 9th, 2008, the WPJA will forward to the BRIDES Magazine editorial staff the top fifty (50) point-scoring images from each category. The images will be sent to BRIDES
Magazine in random order and not marked with any points or identifying information.
The editorial staff of BRIDES Magazine will select the first place image from each category and will select and rank the 2nd through 10th place images. The BRIDES Magazine editorial
staff shall then make their selections and final decisions.
PRIZES AND ODDS OF WINNING:
1. The winning image in each category will be published the in the November/December 2008 issue of BRIDES Magazine. Additionally, BRIDES Magazine will publish the top ten (10) or more
entries from each category on its website (www.brides.com/brides).
2. Prize winners will be contacted via the email address the entrant provides to WPJA with his or her entry. The WPJA shall use such effort as it deems reasonable, in its sole
discretion, to notify winners of any prizes, but the WPJA shall not be responsible if any such notice is delayed, lost, or misdirected.
3. Winners are responsible for all applicable federal, state, local, and provincial taxes on any prizes awarded.
4. Each prize-winner shall complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and a Publicity Release within fourteen (14) days of notification, such documents
to be provided to winning entrants by BRIDES Magazine. Failure to timely return documents or the return of a prize notification as undeliverable will cause any such prize to be
5. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received. A list of winners shall be posted on the WPJA’s website after BRIDES Magazine publishes the
winners in their November/December issue.
ENTRANTS: (1) ACKNOWLEDGE ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND AGREE TO ADHERE TO AND BE BOUND BY THEM, AND (2) RELEASE, DISCHARGE AND HOLD HARMLESS, THE WPJA AND BRIDES MAGAZINE AND
THEIR PAST AND PRESENT DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, OWNERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS AND AFFILIATED ENTITIES, REPRESENTATIVES, PARTNERS, ASSIGNS, AND SUCCESSORS, FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS,
DEBTS, LIABILITIES, DEMANDS, OBLIGATIONS, COSTS, FEES, EXPENSES, ACTIONS AND CAUSES OF ACTION WHATSOEVER, OF EVERY NATURE, CHARACTER AND DESCRIPTION (COLLECTIVELY, "CLAIMS"),
KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: (A) ANY HUMAN, TYPOGRAPHICAL, PRINTING OR OTHER ERROR RELATING TO OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ERRORS
THAT MAY OCCUR IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE CONTEST, THE PROCESSING OF ENTRIES, THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE PRIZES OR IN ANY CONTEST–RELATED MATERIALS; (B) LATE, LOST, MISDIRECTED,
INCOMPLETE OR DAMAGED ENTRIES; (C) THE QUALITY OF THE PUBLISHED IMAGES; (D) THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE WPJA OR BRIDES MAGAZINE; OR (E) ANY CONDITION CAUSED BY EVENTS THAT MAY CAUSE THE
CONTEST TO BE DISRUPTED OR TERMINATED.
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST EACH ENTRANT EXPRESSLY AGREES TO AT ALL TIMES DEFEND, HOLD HARMLESS, AND INDEMNIFY THE WPJA AND BRIDES MAGAZINE FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL THIRD PARTY CLAIMS
(INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND DISBURSEMENTS) THAT: (A) ANY SUBMITTED IMAGE INFRINGES ON SUCH THIRD PARTY’S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS; AND (B) THAT ANY
SUBMITTED IMAGE WAS PUBLISHED WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE SUBJECT(S) IN SUCH IMAGE.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
1. NEITHER THE WPJA NOR BRIDES MAGAZINE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR:
To the extent that the Contest is offered and administered through the Internet, the WPJA website, the BRIDES Magazine website, and through e-mail, neither BRIDES Magazine nor the WPJA
shall be responsible or liable if the Internet, any website, or e-mail, is not capable of properly functioning, for any reason, nor shall the WPJA or BRIDES Magazine be responsible or
liable for, nor do the WPJA or BRIDES Magazine make any representations or warranties regarding: (1) infection of the entrant’s computer or other electronic device by computer
virus(es) or other malicious code, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, vandalism, or any other cause beyond the control of the WPJA or BRIDES Magazine
which corrupts or affects the security, integrity, or proper administration of the Contest; and (2) any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay, faulty transmission or
communication, provider failure(s), destruction, or unauthorized access to any Contest activities conducted or information transmitted via the Internet; (3) any technical malfunction of
any networks, telephone lines, cable networks, cable lines, on-line Contest upload systems, servers, equipment, or software; (4) any failure to timely receive an entry due to technical
problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, phone, DSL, or cable lines, or any combination thereof; and (5) any injury or damage to a Contest entrant’s computer or peripheral
equipment or software related to or resulting from participation in the Contest.
2. The WPJA and BRIDES Magazine reserve the right to, in their sole discretion, cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest at any time for fraud, technical failures or any other factor
beyond their reasonable control that impairs the integrity of the Contest (or a portion thereof), as determined by WPJA and/or BRIDES Magazine in their sole discretion. The WPJA and
BRIDES Magazine also reserve the right to revoke the prize of any entrant, at any time prior to the publication of such prize-winning image, if in the WPJA’s or BRIDES
Magazine’s judgment, the entrant acts in a manner that is offensive, harassing, threatening, repugnant, or otherwise unsuitable for the purposes of the Contest or the reputations
of the WPJA and BRIDES Magazine.
The WPJA/BRIDES Magazine Contest is conducted in the English language only.